From:
Christopher Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 19:58:24 EDT
Kate:  I was going to reply at length to your query but later in the batch of
post I saw George Imrie said all I would have and a lot more besides.  I agree
with him that wax moths gaining the ascendancy is a symptom of another, more
serious problem.  I wonder whether you have the greater or the lesser wax moth
(Galleria mellonella or Achroia grisella).  The former is much larger and
damages your woodwork as well as your wax, but neither damages your bees to
any great extent.
I would not wish to disagree with the Master, particularly as he is familiar
with your local conditions which I, in the UK am not.  However, my view is
that you should establish whether your bees have an ailment before you treat
them for it.  The less chemicals you put into a hive the better.
Chris Slade