From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2018 08:55:18 -0800

> >Any advice about the most appropriate inter-apiary distance to use for
> Varroa transmission would be appreciated. NB – this is transmission
> facilitated by robbing, swarming, absconding, not human traffic in live
> bees or hives.

Tibor Szabo (1986) in Alberta found that:
Successful matings at up to 10 km distance were common in our experiments
[and some apparently up to 20 km]. At greater distance cross-matings were
very rare and probably would not happen in
nature if drones are plentiful. Therefore isolation distances of 18-25 km
used in our
closed-population breeding programme (Szabo, 1979) may be considered
adequate.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA