From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2018 12:06:43 -0400
Przemek

Temperature monitoring data aside I have long used the egg introduction test Pete describes as a quick and reliable way to determine queen presences. What you describe is usual post swarm behavior. Are you convinced that the colonies did not swarm? It can often take up to 20 days post swarm for a virgin to begin laying. If the swarm happened within the last few days you should see the remains of queen cells. I try to tip the brood box up to look for cells at least every 14 days during swarm season, for me May and June. The queen will usually stop laying for several days to get down to flight weight before departure so that is an even longer time without eggs. I don't know if this would show up on your monitor but it would with a 5 minute inspection. You can also count back by brood state. No brood of any kind means at least 24 days, without eggs. Only capped 9 days. Open brood less that that. Even if she failed to mate she will most often start laying drones in 3 weeks or so. And finally it is good training to learn to find virgins, all it takes is practice.

Only trying to be helpful, not snarky!

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA