From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2006 12:40:56 -0800
Good luck!  I built a beewax foundation casting box and could not prevent the cooled wax from sticking to either and/or both plates.  And sometimes it stuck to both sides and tore in some rather interesting, random patterns.

  One recommendation called for painting the mold with high-gloss enamel paint.  It didn't work for me.  Another recommended swabbing the plates with whiskey just before pouring in the molten wax.  This didn't work and left whiskey "bubbles" in the mold.  So I ended up finishing off the bottle myself and took a nice nap.

  I've even tried to give the mold ample time to cool.  Nope.  I tried spray cooking oil (PAM) but it didn't work for me either.

  I finally gave up and went to inserting thin strips of beeswax foundation in the wedge top bar and allowed the bees to draw out "natural" sized cells.  It isn't always straight, but it's a lot less aggravating.  My mold, which was fun to make, sits in the basement.  It's too heavy to ship to anyone.  i would gladly give it to anyone who wants to give this endeavor a try.

  Grant
  Jackson, MO