From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jul 2016 07:49:00 -0700

> >Are residues not taken into consideration in the US?

The better packers do test for residues of some chemicals--such as
miticides and antibiotics--and reject loads of honey over tolerance.  I do
not know whether they test for residues of bee repellents.

I was surprised during a visit to Australia, when my host (I think it was
Peter Detchon at the time) brought up Australia's restriction on using
benzaldehyde to pull honey.  I reached over and picked up a
commercially-made almond-flavored cookie, reeking of benzaldehyde (from its
artificial oil of almonds), and questioned the reasoning.  The restriction
on benzaldehyde certainly couldn't have been due to health concerns, since
there was obviously far more benzaldehyde in an almond cookie than there'd
ever be in honey.  And if butyric were banned for health concerns, so
should smelly cheeses.

Dick, thank you for clarifying butyric anhydride safety.  We've been casual
when we apply it to our fume boards, but will be more careful in the future.

But again, I must bring up the point that any homeowner can purchase and
use any number of dangerous chemicals--bleach, sodium hydroxide aerosol
oven cleaner, swimming pool chlorine and acid, benzene, air fresheners,
ammonia,  antifreeze, battery acid, etc.  One should always exercise
caution when handling dangerous chemicals, but it is within our capability
to do so.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA