From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 15:17:21 EST
In a message dated 2/4/00 1:00:23 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< I do some writing for growers, and I'd like to pass along status reports,
so please let me know what's going on. >>

Another point that Dave might want to mention to those growers is that this
remarkable weather will probably suppress the population of native
pollinators, such as bumblebees and pollinator wasps, that also winter over
in the soil. There are no good estimates — that I am aware of — of the value
of native pollinators to cultivated crops. But the growers probably won't get
much help or relief from unprotected pollinator populations, making the need
for managed honey bees even more acute.