From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Sep 2005 12:32:52 -0400
> So under what circumstances have you found that old comb increases the
> vigour of the bees using it ??

I don't think I did.

> I can't compete in terms of hive years...

As I said, Dave, I very much respect you and your insights, and I am sure
that they apply where you are.  I am not challenging your wisdom or your
qualifications, but rather pointing out that I have had ample opportunity to
confirm your conclusions, and have not.  My point is that they appear not to
be universal..

(Not directed at Dave) -- I put a lot of thought and care into what I write,
so I hope people are putting a similar amount of thought and care into
reading it.  I notice that a lot of people just skim and catch a few words
and phrases, and think they know what I said, but miss my meaning entirely.
I'm sorry, but I am writing a clearly as I can.  I often re-write several
times and think carefully before sending, so would it be too much to ask
people to read it several times and think before dashing off a reply?

To add to what I said previously, I'll mention that, some time back, on this
list, someone pointed out that bees seem to prefer new comb for brood
rearing and darker comb for honey storage.  That has been my experience.  An
important consideration in our area is that, without some dark comb in brood
chambers, bees in our area may not store enough feed for the winter.
Moreover, when drawing new comb, if they do not complete the job, the hive
is at risk in  winter.

I think we are all agreed that comb a year or two old is ideal.  I also
think that is what I said.

allen