From:
Scot Mc Pherson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2007 22:17:34 -0600
I may be wrong about over in europe, but I do know that here in the
midwest, almost every beekeeper I know has reported that they had strong
hives in oct/november, but that there was a pollen famine in fall. I
also every hive going into winter was strong in population, but no
pollen and no brood or just a patch leftover from when pollen ran out.
For me and those here in the midwest it should be no mystery why colony
loss might be high this winter. No brood going into winter, and no
chance for bees to brood winter without any pollen.

I don't think this has anything to do with organic or otherwise style of
beekeeping. It's a pollen famine for us in the midwest.

--
Scot McPherson
The McPherson Family Honey Farms

"If the girls don't find you handsome, they should at least find you
handy"