From:
Pedro Rodriguez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 19:43:21 -0100
Hello folks.

   I did belong to Bee-L for a long time but decided not to post on the
list for personal reasons. I merely joined the list to share with other
participants my "findings" using food grade mineral oil. Some
contributors called FGMO "the silver bullet." I never made that remark.
I always have felt that FGMO is a good to excellent alternative method
for the treatment of honey bee parasites. I have worked relentelessly
for ways to improve its cost-efficiciency and its efficacy. There are
many beekeepers world wide who have followed the announcements that I
have made as I continue to improve my protocol  Apparently, judging by
annecdotal responses world-wide in multiple ways, that they are having
success with FGMO. I thoroughly think that those who succeed do succeeed
because they follow my protocol in earnest. I also believe that those
who do fail, fail beacuse they neglect to follow the patterns of success
that I have described.
   For those who wonder about my justification for thymol addition to my
established FGMO formula. Here is my answer.
FGMO is effective for the removal of hney bee mites (both varroa and
tracheal) however slowly because it acts mechanically by depriving the
mites of biological functions. Thymol is toxic to mites ( as proven by
"recognized researchers"). Thymol used in hogh dosages is also toxic to
honey bees. However, thymol as used in my emulsified form at a mere 3.79
% strength is not toxic to honey bees. In this formula, thymol is locked
into the formulation and released piece-meal as the bees chew on the
cords contrary to other commercial preparations that are much more
higher in conentration and in which thymol is released into the hive
atmosphere by evaporation.
     In my research group, we are using FGMO/thymol only in non-honey
gathering hives as will be published at the end of this years study.
Thymol is being used only in package hives that were delivered infested
with varroa mites and SHB. There will not be any honey harvested from
these hivess. At the apiary where thymol is being used, the only hives
from which honey will be harvested HAVE NOT been treated with thymol.
    The reason for addition of thymol to these test hives IS meant as a
synergistic measure to ACCELERATE the rate of death of varroa mites.
And the assumption proved corrrect. Test hives were quickly freed of
mites and SHB'S!
   More data will be forthcoming when this test period is complete at
the end of this beekeeping season.
   I do not mean to be disrepectful nor reply in irate manners when
others criticize my methodology. I merely defend the "fruits" of many
years of efforts for the benefit of  beekeeping in particular and
huamnity in general. I would not blame anyone else for actiing
similarly. I strongly believe that many of our modern techonlogy is owed
to brazen pioners who dared risk their personal reputation for
publishing what they believed might be beneficial to humanity. My
rudimentary methods should be called "pioneering" in all  rights. I
admire those who are willing to trust my work and even more, those who
knowing the they might be chastised, dare to admit they are FGMO.
   I offer my findings publicly for the benefit of those who may be
willing to take a chance with my rudimentary methodology. I do not take
fault with those who express their feelings against its use. That's
their prerrogative. I do consider unwarranted comments by those who
{make "supositions" without even ever having given a thought to using
the procedure.
    In our great democracy, we are entitled to voice our feelings. But
should we venture to categorically state that this or that procedure
DOES NOT WORK merely because their gut feeling tells them that it does
not?  Yes, but please be respectful of the right of others who toil in
search of better ways to improve status quo.
    I am sure that Mr. Thomas Alba Edison received many skeptical
remarks in his day, but look how well we are iluminated these days. I
think that use of electricity must be owed to those few who did not fear
being chastised by the "non-believers"l I do not even imagine that FGMO
might ever reach the point of greatness that use of electricity for
ilumination has reached, but perhaps many hives will be saved by those
who dare use it in their hives.
  Laboratory test have shown (and published world-wide) that FGMO does
not leave residues in honey after three years of consecutive FGMO use.
We continue testing for residues and will promptly publish laboratory
results be they what they may be. We can not say the same for chemical
pesticides that have soon failed with flying colors, both in protecting
our bees and in leaving residues in honey.
    I continue to state that I would welcome the day when "academic"
institutions with big research bucks will take on actual, sincere FGMO
testing. The one being mentioned in this forum  IS NOT VALID. That
person failed to utlize the on-going protocol used for FGMO testing at
the time. That person utilized my very first application of FGMO which I
had already declared that it did not accomplish the purpse for which it
had been employed. I know that that investigator did not use my proven
established protocl becasue he mailed me a copy of the protocol that he
used.
   Incidentally, I am in the process of asking permission from that
investigator to wave copy right ownership in order that I may make the
document known to the public.  I suggest that those of you who are
interested do likewise. Perhaps the author in question will release copy
rights without restrictions. Let's hope so.
Please excuse my long presentation. It has been a long time since I last
posted and there have been a lot of material that has been accumulating.
Best regards.
Dr. Rodriguez