From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 2010 12:05:38 EST

[log in to unmask] writes:

Once you  have any level of experience, and a keen enough eye ( ie the
Polish girl  mentioned in other posts who has eyes sharper than a hawk
for  abnormalities) your own observation ( eye and nose)

It is difficult to get enough experience cheaply!  I have seen it only
once (in 2000) in my own hives, in a couple of cells in a nuc.  I called  the
Bee Inspector who thought it wasn't EFB but sent off a sample for testing
anyway, which proved positive.  I called an Inspector last year, duty  bound,
because I couldn't be certain that what I was seeing was not EFB. He
applied the Vita tool and said not.

The general impression (I don't know whether or not borne out by the
figures - I don't have access to them) is that, in England, EFB has been on an
upsurge since burning in all cases was abandoned. However 'post hoc ergo
propter  hoc' may not apply!

Chris