From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 2010 10:22:52 -0500
I would be cautious about using butyric acid or anything containing it as a pest control measure in an area that contains mammalian pests (e.g. bears, raccoons, skunks).  Back in the 80's I worked in a fermentation plant.  We got a project to produce butyric acid by bacterial fermentation.  Pure butyric acid smells like a cross between baby vomit and baby diarrhea.  But, if it is esterified, then various flavor notes, strawberry, pineapple, etc., can be developed as flavor additives.  The normal production process at the time (mostly extraction from butter), meant the product could not be certified Kosher, since it was derived from animal product.  However, product from bacterial fermentation could be certified Kosher.  Like I wrote, the pure butyric acid smelled really bad, and the smell also clung to your clothes, hair, etc.  However, it is an appetite stimulant, and is/was added to dog food to get dogs to eat some of the low quality commercial food out there.  We were always hungry, whenever we worked with the stuff.  One time, I stopped to get gas and, as I was filling my tank, a big, mean junkyard dog came over and started licking my work boots, clearly loving the smell of the butyric acid.  Just stood there and let him lick, because he growled whenever I moved.

Point of the stupid story is that making a hive smell from butyric acid could serve as an even stronger attractant to critters, like bears, skunks, etc.

Smelly Bill

Bill Greenrose
Claremont, NH
+43.35687 +43° 21’ 25”