From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 23:10:47 -0600
I like your posts, Joel, but I must take issue.

Of course my view comes from a different vantage point, so I know you
won't take offense...

> until the 1940's/50's,the usual big apiaries consisted of
> solely Langstroth  9 5/8" deep chambers.
>
> Nowadays, it's a different story.  Commonly we find that beekeepers
> are using 2 Langstroth deeps for brood and wintering, and for the
> crop, the hives are supered with 6 5/8" (Dadant depth, or "3/4")
> "medium" honey supers.

We have a few thousand mediums that we obtained when we bought
another outfit (maybe they went broke from handling 1-1/2 X too much
stuff?)

We are selling them as fast as we can because:

They are too light, even when full.  It means a lot of extra
carrying -- or strained backs when guys try to carry two.

There are too many parts.  There is 1-1/2 as much maintenance per
pound of honey.

There is 1-1/2 as much extracting to do when we get them home.  That
means 1-1/2 as much money spent on labour and 2/3 as much honey in
the drum at the end of the week.

I really wanted to believe in them, but after two years, I have
concluded that they have no place in a large outfit (mine at least --
I know there are a couple of guys here who will argue).

<snip>
> I have often wished that the Dadant or Jumbo Langstroth (10
> Dadant-depth brood frames) had  become the standard here, over the
> years.
<snip>
> One person
> cannot safely lift and carry a double-deep langstroth,the shape is
> all wrong -- but most folks COULD lift an entire colony in a
> Dadant/Jumbo; AND not have to staple everything together to do it.
> About the only big disadvantage to the large brood combs is that the
> bees tend to chew away the bottom portion. There are ways of
> preventing or fixing this, tho.

(entrance reducers?)

I cut a bunch down 20 years ago and have regretted it ever since.
They were the perfect brood box.  However I don't regret having only
one size of comb, and one size of box.  Besides... Permadent don't
make jumbo foundation.  If they did, well... I'd sure be tempted.

> The Manley extracting frame is to me an ideal design for ...
> <snip>

Well, I had them too.  I hand built 125 Farrar hives (10
boxes high) and used them for brood and honey.  They were very
nice (I'm a good carpenter).  However, I'd never go back.

>  so here we are,
>  running too-prolific bees on too-small/wrong shaped brood combs.

Two standards are too big for a brood chamber -- they give anyone but
experts a royal pain trying to use excluders -- but what the heck.

Everyone on BEE-L is moving to top bar hives next year.

At least I am (for a couple of hives anyhow).  And if I were a hobbyist?
Nothing but.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>