From:
David Tharle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 2015 12:32:37 -0600
I've had a few p.m. asking for more detail, so will add this.

When we charge the pads, we count out the pads and separate them. The
50s are in strips of 4 and the 40s strips of 5.  They are place in the
small 3 kg honey container on their ends, the big 15 kg container more
or less flat with the holes down (Printed "This side down" across the
face) .  Formic is measured (1.6 l for 40 or 8 l for 200 when using 50s)
into the pail and the tight fitting lid closed.  We can invert the pails
without leakage and sometimes do in get the ones on top full charged.
We use spring loaded restaurant salad/sausage tongs to move them around
in the pail and to apply them to the hive.  On the hive, the holes (side
with writing) are placed facing up (If you don't have a super on above
or normal bee space they won't work).  If we're flying, one guy applies
while two other guys are opening and closing.  Really important that you
do it last thing before leaving the yard so you don't have to wear the
respirator while you do other work.

Dave Tharle
T'N'T Apiaries
Ardmore, AB