From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2007 19:35:37 -0500
Sustainability is not some far-out pipe-dream of the idle, but is
widely accepted as a realistic goal toward which to work. I would
suggest that only people without children could have no concern about
the future and the world we are leaving for them. I only hope that any
such folks can learn compassion and support the effort to transform
agriculture. It must be observed, however, that agriculture is driven
by both the producers and the customers. Producers seek to create a
demand for their merchandise by making it attractive and affordable
while customers help shape the variety of items available through
their expectations and demands.

In terms of beekeeping, large scale pollination is one of the things
the bee industry has taken on as a means of earning a livelihood as
honey prices have sagged. As a country, we can support their efforts
and try to create a wider awareness of what they do. As beekeepers, we
can counter the ill-conceived attempts to portray beekeepers as some
sort of slave-drivers who are bringing on the demise of their faithful
herds. I submit that nobody wants a healthy bee population more than
we do. Rather than trying to fix blame somewhere, we should
concentrate on finding out what really works.

http://www.sarep.ucdavis.edu/concept.htm