From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Aug 2011 04:21:08 -0500
Hello Doug,

>I am assuming nuc or hive purchases is the only resource for most small
> beeks, but I have heard people buying and selling brood...

Buying & selling brood is common but usually done through commercial
circles.

You need to really be able to trust the beekeeper you are buying from plus
check carefully yourself.
I buy brood often but I try to buy from hives returning from almonds boiling
with bees and slabs of brood.

I saw a sideline beekeeper get screwed this spring on a load of nucs from
California. He really did not know what to do to turn those bees around so
they are still screwed up and most likely will die this winter. I told the
beekeeper what I would do when he called. Refuse to buy. Then what to turn
the bees around.
He ignored my advice.

Attend meetings Doug and ask the larger beekeepers quietly as they *prefer*
to sell packages & nucs and if you think for a minute you will figure out
why.

One problem is you get crappy frames at times(old or more drone brood than
you want). selling brood is a way to cull frames.
Another issue (which is negotiable) is many want a new assembled frame in
trade. Many tell what brand of frame & type of plastic foundation.

bob