From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 2013 17:56:54 -0700
These findings are of considerable interest, and a great follow up to
previous work by the deRisi lab, which showed that mini epidemics of
viruses come and go on weekly bases in hives.  Of special interest is the
finding that two viruses not normally screened for were shown to be
replicating in the bees.  Also, the apparent interactions between pathogens.

What I have found frustrating is my inability to show any strong
correlation between nosema prevalence in my monitored hives and colony
mortality or loss of strength.  I suspect that it is due to the "noise"
generated by other infections. The more we look, the more different things
we find infecting bees.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA