Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:37:00 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
I manage 4 orchards with a total of 1800 apple trees in addition to running 400 colonies. I have 
bees permanently in each orchard. 

I never use Sevin to thin, instead use NAA trade name Fruitone which is not lethal to bees like 
Sevin and is more expensive. We don't have the spread between bloom other posters discussed 
with the Pippin apple. So spray thinning is done long after the bloom. 

I have never had any issues with my bees in my orchards or experienced any losses. We also offer 
pollination services which we charge $60-$65 per colony, and move in and out as quickly as 
possible to allow before or after spraying for scab. Scab spray used in the Midwest here is mostly a 
combination of Captan for preventative and Nova or Sovram as a kick back.   

Since Captan will protect forward for up to 7-10 days and Nova or Sovram will "kick back" up to 
72 hours its very possible to have bees in an orchard pollinating and over between scab sprays. 
Since scab is set off by rain and wet buds/leaves if the bloom period is dry the scab pressure is nil.

I require in my contract that no spraying will occur while my bees are in an orchard.  Here in Mn 
we have a apple scab hotline sponsored by the state apple growers association. The report will 
inform a grower if the level of scab spores are high enough to be concerned about an infection. 
Rain then is needed to set off an infection. Between the hotline and protective/kick back 
arrangement of sprays a grower and beekeepers can create a safe environment for bees to 
pollinate in.   Many times we are below threshold during bloom and no spray is needed at all. 

* General Information About BEE-L is available at: *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/default.htm   *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2