From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Apr 2011 20:56:26 -0500
Hello All,
I had a real laugh about this *novel* approach.

> two hive
frames for building the drone cells were inserted into the center
of a brood box.

I bet the varroa loved the area!

What a waste of bee production!

> While
the frames were built and egg-laid, two more frames were
added into the second brood box according to the same
principles.

Wow ! hardly a method I would recommend. With most intensive commercial
methods we see few swarms and giving up four frame of worker bees for drones
seems a big waste. Especially when the drones hatch and add zero to the hive
other than use up hive stores.

Clearly this method was dreamed up by a beekeeper not making his/her living
from bees.

After the end of the swarming period (around
10–15 July) the building frames with the drone brood were
removed and processed to wax

Another hive manipulation involving labor and after the end of our main
honey flow.

>The time needed for the maintaining
of one bee colony has decreased from the average
160 minutes to about 60 minutes.

The above tells me the researchers doing the study must be on the
governments
payroll as no beekeeper making a living from bees could devote 2 hours and
forty minutes to each hive or even a hour to each hive.

Here is a novel approach told by some at bee meetings.

Take all your hives during swarm season and turn your hives upside down. It
is said  by Paul Jackson the queen cells will not hatch upside down and the
bees will not
draw cells when the frames are upside down ( source Paul Jackson Texas State
Apiary inspector at an Austin Texas meeting I attended.)

Not a method I would use or recommend but another *novel* approach.

I also am an advocate of the open brood nest as put forth by Lloyd Seachrist
but have a hard time relating Walters writing with what Lloyd wrote in his
book "Honey Getting"..

bob h.