From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 22:16:36 EST
In a message dated 1/24/00 11:41:22 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<Why do bees consume more honey when it warms up>>

    It's not just that they consume more honey when it warms up — which they
do — but when it gets very cold, too. When it's warm they move around and are
more active, therefore they need more honey for energy. When it gets very
cold they have to shiver more to produce more heat. Shivering is work, and
that requires more food.
    Here in the Northeast US, first we had the unseasonably warm balmy winter
weather. Now the weather has turned quickly to a bad cold snap (described in
the media as "brutal," "viscious," "unrelenting:" there must be something to
all that hyperbole).
    We may will hear a fair number of starvation stories in the spring.

John