From:
Marc Studebaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 07:48:15 -0500
> Hello All,
> The problem with the current CCD research is getting to the problem.

> The normal losses of these beekeepers from the usual causes:
> Up to 35% for many migratory beekeepers and 50% does not cause alarm in
> those which only winter their best stock but then that was before the gold
> rush to California almonds.

I agree.

The March issue of Bee Culture shows colony loss at or below average (aprox
20%) and less than last years losses.
I am not saying that CCD is not a serious problem, for those encountering
the problem it may be devastating.  But I wonder if it could be more media
hype than is justified, as with many issues in our current society.

Marc Studebaker

* BEE-L is hosted at the State University of New York at Albany.                  *
* Please fill out the Colony Collapse Disorder survey at http://www.beesurvey.com *