Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 10:45:12 EDT
In a message dated 99-06-30 22:57:31 EDT, [log in to unmask] (Thom Bradley)
wrote:

<< I live in a mosquito spraying district.
 It is my understanding the spraying is supposed to occur after dark. Of
 course my concern is bees  still flying. The spraying occurred today at
 5:52. Anyone have access to the labeling for this stuff. >>

    Best bet is to call your vector control, and let them know bees were
still flying, and that you want the label information. Common adulticides
include resmethrin, dibrom and malathion, all of which prohibit application
while bees are foraging. Control districts are using more and more
larvicides, which do not have bee protection labels; they aren't toxic.

    Offer to help them monitor when bees are flying. Otherwise they do need
to spray after dark.

    Insist that they obey the labels; if they are using adulticides while
bees are flying in the application area, it is a violation. And insist that
they base their applications on actual monitoring of bee flight rather than
assumptions.

   Wilful violation is a crime, and you can swear out a warrant for their
arrest.  Don't let them evade the labels by calling you and making you
"protect" the bees.  If enough beekeepers get assertive about getting the law
enforced, this kind of kill will stop.  These mosquito adulticides don't show
much evidence at the hive after the fact, just weak hives, because they drop
the field force in "the field."  This is why we have to focus on stopping
violations rather than try to salvage after the kill.  Kills are really hard
to prove, after the fact, but they will deny you your honey crop, and often
make bees too weak to survive the winter.

Dave Green   SC  USA
The Pollination Home Page   http://www.pollinator.com
The Pollination Scene   http://members.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop on the Internet  (honey & beeswax candles)
http://members.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm