From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2011 09:21:56 +0100
Ari Seppälä
>Here in Europe that is not an option as it is illeagal in EU. Spansh
>authorites
gave an special permit for few years against the general rule, but I don't
know
if they still use. Other countries don't as far as I know.

It is legal in the UK, but I know of few beekeepers using it - probably
because of cost.  Nosema ceranae is now found throughout England, if not the
whole of the British Isles.

The only treatment that I use at all is thymol crystals for varroa which I
have cut down to 2-3 weekly treatments in August.  This may also have a
beneficial effect against nosema as I have difficulty finding any spores;
prior to the use of thymol I would have been able to find low level Nosema
(apis) in most colonies.

I do not routinely replace brood comb - some are 30 years old - nor do I
unite weak colonies in the autumn.  I expect higher than normal winter
losses, but regard that as selection pressure.

My losses last winter were, to me, an acceptable 15%, but almost all were
from queen failure; this seems to have been a feature in this area last
winter, with all local beekeepers reporting failure of last year's queens -
older ones are doing fine.  I am at a loss to understand this as we had
quite a good summer and would have expected good mating; we certainly have
plenty of drones.

Best wishes

Peter
52.194546N, -1.673618W