From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 2009 21:07:38 -0500
Randy wrote:
> I haven't used antibiotics prophylactically for a number of years, which
> is
> why I'm curious about Bob's experience with EFB when OTC isn't used.  I'm
> seeing more EFB-like symptoms, but they don't go away like EFB used to
> when
> a good pollen/nectar flow comes on.

I wondered a couple years ago on BEE-L when you were talking about seeing
virus problems in hives with low varroa load if possibly you were seeing
EFB.
 EFB & PMS display similar symptoms however advanced EFB looks different
to the trained eye.

*Symptoms can vary* ( and this is only based on my observations)  but EFB
larva display at times in my opinion a higher yellow color as opposed to PMS
in which the larva are dead but still an off white color to dark . Bees will
pull PMS larva in a heavy varroa infestation longer than bees will pull EFB
larva in advance stages in my opinion.

Once a hive reaches a certain level of EFB infection the bees kind of give
up on trying to clean up the mess. Many abscond spreading the EFB. Then
comes the smell reported in Scotland. At this stage burning might be the
best solution for these *frames*/ bees( to prevent bee spread of the
disease).

 I would scorch the woodenware and reuse but others may be of a
different opinion.

I received no response from Scotland on my advice on treating the 5000 hives
of Scotland to get control of the problem.

My friends which run 5000 ,10000
& up hives said treating would be their first move to gain control. Burn the
serious cases. They were kind of shocked by all the fuss.

bob