From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:11:48 -0500
Mark is asking how we could possibly have an apiary inspection program
without commercial beekeepers being among those employed as inspectors, and
is asking that we consider asking Ag. & Markets to continue a program.  I
have some thoughts, but would first like to hear more about which beekeepers
might be deemed to *not* have a conflict of interest that would prevent them
from being an inspector.  (Mark indicated elsewhere that hobbyist beekeepers
might be acceptable.)  Is there a cut-off such as excluding those who rely
on beekeeping or honey sales for their *primary* source of income?
Alternatively, can those with less than ($5,000 ?) of gross income from
beekeeping or honey sales be an inspector?

My thoughts are not yet fully developed, but I would be interested in a
program with a primary focus on 'helping' beekeepers do a better job as
beekeepers.  I agree with Mark's implication that most beekeepers welcome
this part of an inspectors role.  I have absolutely no interest in an
inspection program with AFB as the *primary* focus, but AFB should be one
of several areas of inspector interest.

--
Lloyd Spear
Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.