From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 20:36:54 -0500
Mike asks:
  What amount of mite control do you feel your bees received?

In the 90% range judging from varroa testing coming out of winter.

 Did you do
some kind of mite count before and after, or are you going by
over-wintering results?

I had been checking mites loads for a few weeks and knew I was going to have
to treat those bees before winter ( 2003). I have got some production
Italians which are at high varroa loads as we speak and will need a
treatment of some kind this fall .

The bees overwintered good but I rely on testing rather than wintering as
many factors can effect wintering and I do not always winter in Missouri.

I was waiting for the section 18 for Api Life var to be approved for
Missouri and had yards which had varroa levels climbing (2003). The section
18 went through on August 28, 2003 and Brushy Mountain shipped mine I
believe the same day and I started installing the day UPS brought the order.

We had the worst drought I have ever seen last year so treatment was not a
problem as I was pumping feed each week to keep the bees from starving.

Mike asks:
Someone said to wrap tabs in screen. Is that necessary?

Nope! Was done in original testing by Delaplane but not needed in my opinion
as the bees will still propolis the screen shut! The screen is not
recommended currently by Brushy Mountain.

Mike asks:
Did the strong
>colonies which removed the tabs receive good treatment results?

I believe they did and those were the colonies which had the high varroa
infestation.

I have done a few trials with a single treatment and only a double treatment
but I recommend treating as per label ( 3 times) and when the temperature is
between 90F & 54 F.

Bob