From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 11:53:28 -0600
Brent asks:
I've been looking at a one ton diesal with an Allison transmission and a
flat deck.  Thoughts on how many hives (deep and a medium) can be hauled w/
a forklight on a trailer in back.

I will give my opinion and others can give theirs.

We get stuck bad in Missouri in wet weather. I just got finnished pulling
out my bucket loader tractor buried to the frame  with a 150 HP four wheel
drive tractor. My four wheel drive one ton would not pull the tractor out
and got stuck also.

 The above truck you are considering will work fine in dry weather.

One tons are used for short moves by us of  a bee yard or so. The above
truck would not work for us in the rainy season in Missouri unless four
wheel drive. Two much weight in the front end. We actually prefer the big
gas engines because of less weight in the front end.

William asks:
 Will this limit the size of my apiaries or how many I can service in one
trip?

We use at times a super duty 450 ford one ton flatbed which will haul all
the hives you can load on and still pull a forklift behind but is so rough
riding will make you sick if riding MT a long way. When stuck takes a
wrecker or farm tractor to pull out. A farmer which had bees on his land
blew the engine on his four wheel drive trying to pull the above truck out
of the mud several  years ago and we blew  the 460 up in the above truck up
two years ago trying to get unstuck in a remote yard.

easy to figure the amount of hives you can carry when you know the skid size
etc. Figure height and width of skid.

Brent said:
I know some of you pull your own semi-loads out for the almond bloom.  What
are the pro's and con's of using a contract hauler.

Most use contract hauler's but you need to know how to load the load and
furnish the nets. If you use a professiional bee hauler he will have  his
own nets and boards.

Brent asks:
 I have no idea what they would charge to drag a full load out there with
nets, versus finding an used tractor and running it myself. Is there a going
per mile rate for dragging bees?

Different prices but not cheap and professional bee haulers are always in
demand in peak season.

I would say between 1.50 to 2.00 U.S. per mile each way.

I would suggest using a professional the first time so you can learn how to
load and net the semi. Also you will need someone to unload in California in
a holding area. Another to put the hives in the Almonds. Another to remove
to the holding area and still another to load the semi for hte return trip.
Many beekeepers which hire all of the above done say they only break even on
Almond pollination but the hives winter in a warm location.

Hives with telescoping lids are hard to haul! A few professional
bee haulers will not haul a load of hives with telescoping lids as they tend
to shift in transit.

The next step up from a one ton is the larger flatbed truck like most larger
beekeepers use. Such a truck is for sale in Missouri and in is use today in
the bee business. I called my associate on his cell phone who is using the
truck today and he says the  truck is for sale as he flew to Denver,
colorado last Friday and brought back a newer truck to replace the old.

The truck will haul 144 hives of bees (our skids)  and easily pull a
forklift behind. Is a 7000 Ford ,has a 3208 diesal cat motor and 10 speed
road ranger transmission and 18 foot bed.  The truck is old but runs good
and has made a couple out of state hauls in the last six months (Nebraska &
Iowa). Has side boxes and hooks for ropes. Possibly the nets could be bought
with the truck but did not think to ask my partner. I personally have hauled
bees to Texas with the truck.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
.