From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 08:44:52 -0500
Wajih asks about queens produced in spring, summer, and fall.

He comments that spring produced queens are very likely, in Jordan, to swarm
the following spring.  One of the outstanding papers I have read was the
results of a study in Israel that documented that queens that have gone
through a full four seasons are far more likely to swarm than younger
queens.  That is also my observation.  If anyone is interested, I will try
to find the Israel study and send it on.

He also comments about a reasonable amount of failure with queens produced
under hot summer conditions.  I could not agree more.  Try Canadian queens,
that are, of course, produced in more reasonable summer weather.  They cost
more, but are worth the price!

Personally, I do not see any advantage to using fall-produced queens,
compared with those produced in June/July in Canada.  As the fall-produced
queens are slightly harder to handle, I plan on sticking with the summer
Canadian queens.

Lloyd
Mailto:[log in to unmask]
Lloyd Spear Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
Visit our web site at http://www.rossrounds.com.