Date:
Mon, 3 Aug 2009 14:15:08 -0400
Moving on to the newer version of the thread - I think Bill was right
when he mentions considering co-evolution with microbes (although I
don't think that constitutes epigenetics). There's a short article in
a recent Chemical & Engineering News that points out that
conservative estimates put the number of bacteria that co-exist with
a typical person at "trillions ... 10 times more bacterial cells than
human ones in the body."
"These microbes are not just passive travelers or intermittent
pathogens. They “perform many functions for us that are not encoded
by the human genome,” says Jeremy Nicholson, a biomedical chemist at
Imperial College London. In fact, because thousands of different
microbial species live upon or within us, the total number of
bacterial genes being expressed on or in our bodies exceeds the
number of genes in the human genome by a factor of about 100. “Humans
run on a relatively small number of basic genes for being such
complex organisms, and our microbes take up some of the slack,”
Nicholson says." (the full text is here: http://pubs.acs.org/
isubscribe/journals/cen/87/i29/html/8729sci2.html)

I'm sure that bees are in the same boat as us. Not just microflora
living in the hive, but within the bees themselves...

Kurt