From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 08:49:06 -0400
"We'll have to be more careful in our dealings outdoors." Americans spend
less and less time outdoors. Now, another reason for them to hide in their
living rooms!

QUOTE:

Jacinto Perez was lucky. The bees that furiously swarmed around him as he
worked in a Wellington field stung him only a few times and instead zeroed
in on the goats and sheep he was frantically trying to help. One goat and a
sheep died in the April 14 attack. Three others suffered multiple stings and
required medical attention.

A preliminary analysis of the bees in the April 14 incident showed a high
possibility that the bees were Africanized, said Jerry Hayes, chief of the
aviary section for the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services'
Division of Plant Industry. DNA testing is being conducted for confirmation.

William Kern, an assistant professor of entomology and nematology at UF's
Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center, said Africanized bee
sightings are becoming common in South Florida. "I expect throughout the
state, within the next five years, they will be pretty well distributed,"
said Kern, who recently conducted an Africanized honeybee seminar in Belle
Glade and has scheduled more training with first responders and law enforcement.

Though eradicating the Africanized honeybees is not an option, state
officials suggest that any bee colonies not associated with registered
beekeepers be eliminated because they pose a concern, Hayes said. "They've
dominated South America and Mexico," Hayes said. "There's no reason that
they won't do the same thing in Florida and the Southeast."

"Over time, they will replace the regular bees, and we'll have to be more
careful in our dealings outdoors. Just as people in Arizona, Texas and
Southern California have had to use more caution" said John Capinera,
chairman of the University of Florida's entomology department.

FROM:
Africanized ‘killer’ bees settle into South Florida
South Florida Sun-Sentinel