From:
Robin Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robin Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 1995 17:04:04 EST
On Thu, 7 Dec 1995 16:29:17 -0500 you wrote:

>How can you tell if a hive suffocated. I don't think anybody could possibly
>look at dead bees and tell if they suffocated. What do you look for, blue in
>the face and their tongue sticking out ;-)

Can't say I have seen a blue bee :)  However, tongue sticking out,
particularly
of young newly hatched bees is more a sign of starvation if anything.

>When you say"starvation" do you mean the bees don't have stores left, or
>can't move to them because of the cold, two totally diferent problems.

Agreed, and both may have different solutions.  The first can only be
done
by careful planning in the fall packing, while the second is more
difficult.
Perhaps careful planning may rectify the second as well, although a
warm
hive that allows the cluster to move more easily should help as well.

There may be other problems if the cluster becomes too warm however,
as
increased movement will cause an increase in stores consumption, an
increase
of moisture, and an increase in oxgyen intake.
Robin Wells                           [log in to unmask]