From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 22:35:44 -0000
> Anyone knows what happens at Strasbourg? The voting was suppose to be
> today
> 24th.

Lies, damned lies and statistics?

In my view, there is a lobby that is trying to ride on the back of problems
that are mainly manifested in the USA.  Here in the Midlands of the UK we
have just had two of the best years ever.  Yes, varroa is a problem that we
wish that we did not have - but we are coping with it (mainly with thymol
based products).

Several very poor seasons resulted in heavy losses, but the last two years
have been very good to us.  In my own case crops based on the previous
autumn counts have been very good, e.g. in 2009 we had 100lbs per hive and
in 2010 96lbs per hive (based on around 150 colonies put down for winter) -
this compares with a 30 year average of 70lbs per hive.

The weather is in fact our biggest problem by far.  In 2008 we had a
dreadful summer and our average was just 34lbs; 2007 was not much better at
48lbs, but the improved weather in 2009 and 2010 showed what the bees could
do given decent conditions.

We do not have CCD (for sure!).  Problems seen in Europe from pesticide
mishaps, and Nosema ceranae problems in Spain have not yet been seen here.
Yet there are those wanting to use all these problems to suggest that our
bees are in trouble.  They are not!  Given reasonable weather they are
thriving!

In my view, the biggest threat that we face in from imported bees.  The
English Channel has served us well for a very long time as a barrier against
diseases that are common on the mainland of Europe, e.g rabies.  Given that
there is unbroken land all the way from France to China, it seems to me that
we should do everything possible to stop problems crossing the Channel!

Best wishes

Peter Edwards