From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 01:40:53 -0400
KEN LAWRENCE wrote:

> Looking for some ideas for storing my super frames at the end of the
> honey season.  Does anybody out there store their frames out in the
> open (under a roof)?  I am thinging about leaving my frames out of the
> supers and put them on a rack made out of 1 inch square tubing.  Am open
> for any coments for do's and don'ts.  thanks Ken

First of all, I'm wondering why you would want to do this.  It seems to
me that you would now have to have space to store frames *and* the empty
supers.  Since you probably have a good reason, there are at least three
considerations to keep in mind:  1) Wet comb attracts wax moths, which
would have easy access to open frames.  Be sure therefore to have the
bees clean all the stickiness completely out of them before storing.  2)
Mice love honeycombs as well, and would have much easier access to the
combs in open than in super storage.  You would have to be sure that you
have a mouse-free environment.  3) Bees themselves will come snooping
around, especially in early spring when there is a limited bloom
available, so you will have to have a bee-tight space.  If you're sure
you can keep bees, moths and mice away, I see no problem.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan, USA