Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 2010 05:57:56 -0800
--- On Sat, 1/23/10, Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Ted Hancock wrote:  > A panel of commercial beekeepers (at the Orlando meeting) told us what they are feeding their bees and took questions from the audience. I learned Soya flour is toxic to bees and should not be fed.

Trevor wrote:  From what I have seen full fat is not the best but the the others are OK.  That is provided it is not the only source for an extended period.  You can add some amino acids to the mix and this seems to be better for brood production. Just observations and no real trials.
Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA

As Trevor wrote, maybe we need to do some testing with the various supplemental feeds that are available out there and determine which ones are not just good supplemental feeds but also using pollen traps, try to determine which ones are good substitutes; using pollen traps to minimize the amount of pollen the colonies bring in for their own use.  I wish I had the resources to try that.  Now would be a very good time to start what with the new brood rearing season coming on.
Mike in LA