From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 09:22:33 -0500
Tim Vaughan said:

> one of my customers hosts a gourmet cooking radio hour, and
> asked me to be on in early Feb.

> the amount of honey used to replace sugar, but I must confess
> I know very little about high end cooking.

My wife bakes bread and treats to order and for a few coffee shops
and restaurants, so she's very serious about bread.
Here's what she has in her notebook:

SUGAR
3/4 cup of honey replaces one cup of sugar. Reduce other liquids
by one-half cup for each cup of honey you add to the recipe.

MOLASSES
To substitute honey for molasses, use exactly the same
amount. The resulting flavor and color will be "lighter".

CORN SYRUP
To substitute honey for corn syrup, use exactly the same
amount, but consider reducing other sweet ingredients,
as a honey is sweeter than corn syrup.

BROWN SUGAR
Follow the equation for "sugar", but also add molasses to
taste (brown sugar is just white sugar where the molasses
has not been completely removed, or has been added after
refining)

To measure honey, my wife uses a "Wonder Cup" measuring
cup, which is a graduated cylinder with open ends, and a
sliding piston inside the cylinder.  The piston, when pushed
"up", ejects all the honey with no waste, and no mess.

        jim