From:
Mary Ann Kae <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2017 13:18:43 -0400
<Something that I'm curious about is why I often observe live yeast cells in
fecal samples from bees with dysentery.  As far as I can tell, yeasts are
able to enzymatically digest simple sugars and sucrose, but not more
complex sugars.  So I'm not clear as to how the bacteria and yeasts in the
bee hindgut  interact with the indigestible complex sugars of honeydews.>

I don't know about the connection of dysentery to yeast overgrowth, but there is a connection between overgrowth of yeast in the gut with antibiotic use, as well as in compromised immune systems.  Candida has a tendency to run wild if other gut microflora are wiped out, and also in instances of immunosupression.  And, as the naturopaths will tell you, Candida thrives in sugar.

"Many species are found in gut flora, including C. albicans in mammalian hosts, whereas others live as endosymbionts in insect hosts."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candida_(fungus)#cite_note-4