From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2008 08:55:41 -0400
The problem of the battle between mankind and a whole plethora of
pathogens was touched upon in my January 2007 article in the ABJ. This
is not a fight we can win; we make advances and then they do. This
issue has implications for honey bee health as much as human and the
health of all organisms that are affected by our care or lack of it.

> Recent advances in molecular epidemiological methods have elucidated the evolutionary pathways by which modern methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus have evolved. Only five major lineages of hospital methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus exist, but these are globally distributed and evolving resistance to even the newest antibiotics.

> Staphylococcus aureus (Staph infection) is one of the major resistant pathogens. Found on the mucous membranes and the skin of around a third of the population, it is extremely adaptable to antibiotic pressure. It was the first bacterium in which penicillin resistance was found -- in 1947, just four years after the drug started being mass-produced. Staphylococcus aureus can cause a range of illnesses from minor skin infections, such as pimples, impetigo to life-threatening diseases, such as pneumonia, meningitis, Toxic shock syndrome, and septicemia.

* * *

Antimicrobial Resistance Trends and Outbreak Frequency in United
States Hospitals