From:
Gordon Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 1995 19:26:22 GMT
In message  <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> I've heard of a process of producing sheets of wax for foundation on a
> small scale:
> a smooth wooden board is made of the intended sheet size.
> the board is dipped in water first, then into a a tub of melted wax.
> as it is witdrawn from the wax, a layer of wax solidifies on it.
> re-dipping can increase the thickness, re-dipping from the opposite end
> can even out the thickness.

Similar method used by many people here (UK), but we pour a quantity  of
the  wax  onto  the  board  from a jug or ladle.  We use a wooden tray a
little bigger than our largest foundation  size,  soak  it  with  water,
quickly pour in the wax, 'swoosh' it around then drain the excess from a
hole in the corner. Works well, but there is a bit of a knack.

A chap here by the name of Terry Herring, now sadly no longer  with  us,
used  to  produce  a foundation making kit consisting of the above setup
and a pair of moulded (sic UK English spelling)  plastic  sheets  welded
together  like a book, between which the wax sheets were squeezed with a
roller.

I have also seen a very successful Leaf type press made by encapsulating
a  sheet  of  foundation in glass fibre (sic ditto).  Build a mechanical
jig around this to  ensure  correct_registration_of_the_cells;  Separate
the  halves  of  the  encapsulation  and  finally  build  the jig into a
box/tray into which you pour the wax  as  above.   This  isn't  easy  to
describe, if anyone wants more detail I'll try to put it into more words
and post direct.

Regards
--
Gordon Scott    [log in to unmask]         100332,3310 on CompuServe
Newsletter      [log in to unmask]      ditto

Patience        is a virtue possessed by people who can't think of a
                quicker way to do it.