From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 21:43:29 -0600
Hello Bill and All,
Bill wrote;
Are we talking "traits" that were observed or do the bees actually have
capensis genes?
My understanding is capensis genes

And, if traits, are those same traits common with AHB in South Africa,
at the boundary of AHB with Capensis? I did not realize there was cross
breeding.
DuPraw (1965) ,according to Ruttner (1975), was unable to delimit adansonii from capensis on the basis of wing charactors. I know DNA testing has been used for years in Arizona but the USDA  has painted the results with a broad brush and will only say bees are Africanized  or not. In my opinion if they are using the cubital index  of wing venation they are able to tell Africanization but not the difference between a scut and capensis. Herein lies the problem in my opinion with cubital index. I am going way beyond my area of expertise in the above .and stand to be corrected.
The easiest way to determine capensis is by simply examining workers. Capensis is distinctly  different from ALL other races of honey bees because of the large numbers of ovarioles in the ovaries and the well developed spermatheca. Although yet unproven many researchers believe capensis workers have stronger pheromones than a European queen and can cause European workers to supercede their own queen. There is a strong possibility the capensis pheromone theory issue has already been proven  by now
Anderson (1961) after examination of thousands of capensis laying workers never found one worker with spermatoza yet when queenless the capensis workers can soon lay eggs without fertilization which develop into females and queens can be raised from the eggs.  Mackenson (1943) said the same phenomenon occurs in all races  but only with a low frequency. As a lifelong beekeeper I would replace the words *low frequency* with very very rare . I do not believe I have ever seen a case of bees of mine with laying workers raising a queen.
Laying workers are a common sight in a bee operation. 10% and up of queens in a commercial operation go queenless during heavy honey flow and the result if not caught in time is laying workers. Scattered Drone cells in worker pattern is all I ever see.
Bill wrote:
Your post seems to affirm my belief that the mechanics of the hive and
beekeeping are low on the list compared to the bee itself. Good bees
make good beekeepers.
You are exactly right Bill !
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Ps. I have no direct experience with capensis. The information I present comes from books, articles, and lectures and from researchers. Hopefully others will comment  .