From:
C Toombs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 15:49:40 -0500
It was supposed to be my husbands new hobby but...We purchased a hive in the
spring of 1998 and this spring it swarmed twice. That's when I took over.

I am in western Arkansas and looking for a mentor. We now have 3 hives and
I've been devouring the wonderful information on the list along with every
book in the local library on the subject of beekeeping.
I'm hoping the feeling of cluelessness will eventually subside.

For anyone interested here is the readers digest version of my beekeeping
adventure.

Hive (A)--> was the first one we started with. It was a single deep body
with
a short on top. We put on an excluder and short super and unfortunately got
tied up with the ranch and neglected it. It issued two swarms this spring
and upon inspection of the hive body we discovered in the lower deep body
the comb seemed to be melted and misshapen and empty. The bees were
occupying the short above. I removed the deep body and put another short on
top of the
occupied one under the excluder. There was no drawn comb above the excluder.
At the time I did not have the parts to make up another deep body. The bees
were quickly filling both short boxes and I managed to swap a frame of honey
and place it above the excluder before the new hive parts arrived for
assembly. By the time I received my deep bodies they had completley filled
both short boxes and had started to draw comb in one frame above the
excluder. I wasn't sure what to do at this point so I put a newly assembled
deep box with a feeder in between the two shorts that had been the main hive
body in an uneducated attempt to give the bees more room. I have not done
anything to hive except open the top to look in. It seems to be full of very
happy bees. There is still no activity above the excluder but I don't expect
it with all the new room they received. My question is, how do I manipulate
this hive so I can remove the short body from the bottom and get it situated
with two deeps instead?

Hive (B)--> First swarm from hive (A). This one landed on tall grass in our
pasture and we were prepared with a deep hive body all set up to catch them.
The catching was easy I placed the box with cover on top propped on some
bricks above the grounded swarm. They moved right in and we set up the catch
in the yard next to hive (A). This hive seems to be especially docile and
can be worked easily. Upon inspection they were drawing comb and tending
brood well. I added a second deep body to encourage their growth when they
had nearly filled the first box.When they had that one almost full I added a
short super to the top. My question is, should I have added an excluder?

Hive (C)--> Surprise! We swarmed twice! Less than a week apart. Oh no, no
hive bodies on hand. Quick trip to the local bee man(25 miles) and we are
set
to capture. They were about 20 feet from the source hanging on a limb of a
two year old apple tree. I laid the limb on top of the hive body and they
were in  less than 20 minutes. I added a deep hive body when they seemed
to get crowded. More on this hive below...

Status as of yesterday...I used the water spray method with great results to
open the tops for a quick inspection.
Hive (A) seems happy. Still no new activity above the excluder. Much
activity at the entrance, heavy bees and pollen. I close it and leave. I say
heavy bees because all my hives are up on 12 inch stands I built to keep
them from the ants. Heavy bees land like blimps in the wind. Buzz, buzz,
buzz, thump. Sometimes they are so heavy they miss.
Hive (B) seems happy. Starting to draw comb in new super. Plenty of activity
at the entrance. I close it and leave.
Hive (C) NO VACANCY sign! Lots of activity. They are completely full! Maybe
I learned something because I have 5 supers on hand, just add foundation and
go! I put the top back on and leave to get a super ready. When I go back to
add the super as soon as I open the cover I get stung on the cheek but I get
the stinger out quickly and it doesn't hurt too much. In the mean time I'm
spraying water and backing up quickly. Nevertheless one managed to get in my
hair and sting my head. OUCH! I rubbed fresh grass on the stings and must
have backed far enough away because there was no further pursuit. I guess I
put blind faith in what I've read here on the list, upon summoning courage I
walked  back to the hive, put on the super and close it up without any fuss.
I was wearing only summer attire. Next time I'll at least wear a hat . This
is the second bee I've had in my hair and it is a chilling experience. Maybe
they don't like my shampoo.

So where do I go from here? Does anyone know the dates of honey flow  for my
North West Arkansas area? Is there a nearby member who can advise me
directly ? I sure would like someone who has a clue to come look over my
bees.  Technical questions;  What are the nine slot frame hangers used for?
Should I have excluders on all my hives? How often should I do a thorough
inspection on the hive bodies?

Thanks for your interest and support.

C. Toombs