From:
Michael Haberl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Haberl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 1998 18:29:21 +0200
> Now I do not believe the hive intends to swarm as they still have 4 frames
> of foundation they have not touched. This only leaves supersedure.

In my experience, having untouched foundation in a hive is not at all a
indicator that this colony is not going to swarm.

-----

Yesterday I inserted a breeding frame with 25 grafted, young larvae
in a dequeened (>4 days) colony. When controlling for acceptance rate today
(19/25), I found an EGG in one artificial queen cell cup. Has anyone ever
observed the same? Obviously, this egg must have been laid by a worker bee.
I marked its position, but left it untouched. I expect that this egg will be
removed by workers.

Michael Haberl
Zoologisches Institut der Uni Muenchen         Tel: ++49 89 5902-444
Luisenstr. 14                                  Fax: ++49 89 5902-450
80333 Muenchen            e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Germany              http://www.ebe-online.de/home/mhaberl/index.htm