Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2012 09:43:23 -0700
 > Personally, I would never suggest or recommend barrel feeding.

Don't knock it until you have tried it, and tried it properly.  It has
its place.  I've seen every type of feeding done badly, sometimes with
sad results.

 > Also, why waste syrup on the heavy ones?

Properly done, the colonies end up very even in weight, and with little
beekeeper effort.

 > If the purpose is to stimulate them

Feeding thin syrup in an open feeder just does not work at all well.  I
could outline the reason, but think I have covered them well in the
past.  Basically, stimulative feeding is done in spring, when bees do
not empty open feeders well, and thin syrup soaks into straw and drowns
bees...

Open feeding is best suited to fall feeding when large amounts of thick
syrup are fed and takes place over only a few days.

 >  I still think the benefit of feeding directly outweighs the extra
effort.

In specific cases, you may well be right, and many Alberta beekeepers
have gone over to using 5 gallon top feeders in preference to open
feeding.  That is particularly true in regions where many competing
yards are close together.

However, if the pressing need is to get a lot of feed into hives
quickly, with limited labour and equipment, or when the hives are not
accessible, as sometimes is the case, then nothing beats open feeding.

Everything has its benefits and drawbacks.  The art is to understand the
trade-offs under each circumstance.

 > In life, some things are worth doing well.

The good craftsman knows all his tools, and each one's suited purpose.--
and limitations.