Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2015 05:42:47 -0600
As we explore this thread, I am surprised no one has mentioned Richard
Taylor's Joys of beekeeping.  It was the first book on beekeeping I read
several decades ago that lead me to many interesting and satisfying hours
and days with the bees.  It does not tell you how to keep bees, but rather
how to be a beekeeper.  On cold winter days when a visit to the bee yard is
not reasonable, I still pull the Joys of beekeeping off the shelf.  Over the
years I have owned a number of copies (unfortunately all soft cover) but
many have been lent out and not come back.  Others must enjoy Taylor, also.

If you want a practical book on beekeeping, read his book on comb honey.
His advice on swarm management works as well today as it did in Taylor's
days.  When I started keeping bees, I wanted to have the opportunity to meet
Richard.  Unfortunately I did not, though I feel I know him through his
writing.

Larry Krengel
Marengo, IL