Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2012 09:19:01 -0600
I think the first question is "the plight of the Honey Bee" is real or a
made-up crisis.

I would answer the latter.  Honey bees have been around for millions of
years, apparently, and have adapted to many different threats over that
time.  They seem to be adapting just fine right now although maybe not
as quickly as we might wish.  Worldwide and on the whole, I'd say that
honey bees are doing just as well as ever.

The current 'crisis' has more to do with the the plight of the North
American beekeeper than it has to do with the state of the honey bees
themselves worldwide.

The economics of US beekeeping were very bad over a recent decade. New
and unfamiliar pests required changes to bee management and increased
expense and risk at a time when currency manipulation kept honey prices
low.  Encroaching civilization reduced available yards, and increased
regulations of various sorts made operating more difficult.  Labourers
expectations changed, too, with increased urbanization, potential
employees began to expect shorter hours, weekends off, and proved
unwilling to travel or get dirty.  The paper burden increased to the
point where many commercial beekeepers had to spend more time at their
desks than with their bees.

All was not bad, however, better trucks and loaders, better roads and
improved communication, along with replacement of the dangerous
insecticides of the past with better targeted and more benign
substitutes compensated somewhat for the negative factors.

I'd first re-examine the proposition that the honey bee is in fact
facing a plight worldwide before going too far into the project.

Perhaps proving the exact opposite would be a more meaningful and useful
project.