From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:57:28 -0600
Hello Michael & All,

Where does it say in this article that HFCS is bad feed for honeybees?

The article is NOT about bees! Does say volumes about HFCS.

I did not say HFCS was bad for bees. I did in earlier post point to the fact
ALL HFCS contains two sugars which by themselves are shown to be TOXIC to
honey bees .I also pointed to problems lately with off spec and high HMF in
HFCS.( well documented)
I also pointed out the the toxic sugars found in ALL HFCS are not found in
sucrose (beet & cane sugar).

I point to the fact that bees feed sucrose have
got greater longevity than bees feed HFCS.
(Roy Barker 1974 Tucson Bee Lab & Pamela Gregory 2008 Weslaco Bee Lab )

I might also point out to my friend Allen Dick that Dr. Gregory's  tests
were also done on outside flying bees ( 2006)   to show the results were the
same.( Back in 1974 many beekeepers debunked the Barker USDA-ARS research
saying the results would be different if the bees had been flying)

Roy Barker only used caged bees.

The research can be read about in my article in the April  2007 American Bee
Journal and published in its entirety in apidologie before long.

>This isn't what Jerry B. has been saying. Are your research methods
different/better than his team's?

I haven't read the CCD report. I can say when at the American Beekeeping
Federation meeting and we all compared notes one of the things we came to
realize was that the beekeepers using only sucrose had good bees without CCD
problems.

Example:
Pat Hietkam ( panel member )6000 healthy hives fed only sucrose.

>Please publish yours, Bob. None of us like being kept in the dark.

Glad you asked! I have been told I have a way of being able to put
complicated information in a way the average beekeeper can understand. Which
is what I did in the article for ABJ ( April 2007)concerning HFCS/sucrose.

The information in the article is correct. No misquotes! The article has
been approved by at least these three people:
1. Head of Weslaco USDA-ARS research Unit
2. head of bee lab
3. Pamela Gregory (lab researcher.)

 I did leave out about the bee blood work done on the bees used in the
testing. Was really over my head and hard to explain. However the results of
blood work on the bees from the test is included in the published (or soon
to be) paper for apidologie. Also the charts.
I wish Dr. Gregory's research could have been published in a bee magazine
but not what top of the line researchers seem to do.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

--
believed to be clean.