Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 2009 06:36:56 EDT

In a message dated 19/03/2009 08:12:44 GMT Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

Pictures  of scutellata from South  Africa:
http://beeman.se/za/za-1-nf.htm

Excellent pictures!  Although the workers are similar in colouration  there
is some variation.  Are they cross-bred?  I used exactly the  same system as in
the bottom left picture for getting comb drawn from starter  strips, but I
used fishing line rather than wire - it seems to be better  accepted with fewer
misses in the laying pattern along the line of the  line..  I am now not even
using that, but the frame must be held  vertically, especially when the comb
is new.  As always, when persuading  bees to build in frames without the
restriction of foundation, the hive must be  level.

Chris