From:
Adrian Wenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 16:33:30 -0700
[log in to unmask] asked:

>Anyone with any case history rulings please E-mail me because I have a
>neighbor that filed a complaint on my hives.   Thanks.

   You really should have identified yourself fully, including name and
location.

*******

   Back in June I posted the following message in response to an inquiry by
John L. Garland, as follows:

John L. Garland wrote:

>I am brand new to this format but due to recent activities...  there is
>probably no better place to ask, so here goes.   Two days ago I received a
>registered letter from a lawyer claiming to represent a nearby neighbor.  The
>neighbor's case is that my bees are causing her "loss of enjoyment" of her
>property.  The details of this are many and I would be willing to share them
>with those of you who are interested.  However, my question is what has
>historically been done with beekeepers and laws concerning neighbors claims
>as listed previously.  Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

**********

   That problem surfaces all too often.  An esteemed U.C. Berkeley
entomologist, Richard L. Doutt (also an attorney) wrote a comprehensive
review of that topic back in 1959, as follows:

"The case of the trespassing bees."  Bulletin of the ENTOMOLOGICAL SOCIETY
OF AMERICA.  5(3): 93-97.

   Prof. Doutt dealt with legal cases all the way from the 17th century to
the 1950s (when he wrote the paper).

   You might find some useful information in that paper.  Also, a more
recent publication might cite that contribution, permitting you to obtain
an update on the problem.

                                                        Adrian

Adrian M. Wenner                    (805) 963-8508 (home phone)
967 Garcia Road                     (805) 893-8062  (UCSB FAX)
Santa Barbara, CA  93106

* "To cling rigidly to familiar ideas is in essence the same as       *
*   blocking the mind from engaging in creative free play."           *
*                                  David Bohm and F. David Peat 1987  *