Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2008 06:49:30 GMT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
hi bob,

i'm curious about some of the details wrt to the person you cite who is burning 35 hives.

what "advice" did he follow?  
was this advice given specifically to him, or information gleaned from reading?
was this person using following other advice (ie, wrt cell size) from "that other list"?  what lead him to believe that his bees were "hygenic" wrt to foulbrood?

i ask these questions not to nail someone to the wall, but to understand what actually happened.

on this topic, i must admit, that with my own limited experience, i find dee's method of dealing with foulbrood somewhat unbelievable.  it goes against virtually everything i've read, and everything i've heard in person from other beekeepers.  with that said, i've personally gone through thousands of her frames (in use, winter deadouts, and old boxes of comb that have been in storage for years), and didn't see more than a couple of cells with any scale that i could see.  i think she told me that she burned 6 frames last year for having more than a couple (i think she says 6 is a maximum) visibly affected cells.  all i can say is, if this didn't work for her, her bees would be dead.

deknow

* General Information About BEE-L is available at: *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/default.htm   *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2