From:
Keith Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:10:35 -0800
Hi Allen & All,

Thanks for your reply. It is good to know that there are some beekeepers who
appreciate the drone.

> For another, most good beekeepers are
> trying to work with the bees and avoid excessive interference.

This would be nice to believe but not from reading Bee-L most of the time.
There is a lot of talk of interference of all sorts on Bee-L, treating with
this substance or another. I understand that just keeping bees period is a
treatment and an interference but keeping bees is what we are doing.

> >  I think most beekeepers think that drones are only good for one
purpose,
> > that is mating with a queen.
>
> Really?  That is not the impression I get from reading BEE-L.

Could you explain a few other benefits of the drone besides mating?

When listening to some beekeepers explaining the role of the drone to the
general public or a new beekeeper I hear all to often that there sole
purpose is to mate with the queens. I think they have other roles in
addition.

> Looking at the subject line, I'm wondering how various people define
> "Natural Beekeeping".  For one thing, can anyone using foundation claim to
> be a "Natural" beekeeper?

That is a good question. Yes, I do think you can be a "Natural" beekeeper
using foundation within the natural range of worker cell sizes.

One thing I am doing presently to be more of a "Natural" beekeeper is the
use of one inch starter strips on frames, using foundationless frames, and
using a slightly closer spacing center to center of comb. After seeing what
the bees do on their own I may soon do away with using foundation. There
really might not be a need for foundation. I do think the bees know what
they what to do.

I define "Natural Beekeeping" as keeping bees as close to natural as a
beekeeper can manage. Trying to only put into a hive what is needed and not
putting anything into the hive the bees would not find in their natural
environment and at levels they naturally have normally. Besides nails, wire,
and a little glue to hold things together that leaves only wood and maybe
bees wax. No feeding period, that may be imposable but I find it can be done
with  most colonies most years. If it can not be done with a colony I feel
their genetics can just as well disappear and not be kept.

 . ..   Keith Malone, Chugiak, Alaska USA, http://www.cer.org/,
c(((([ , Apiarian, http://takeoff.to/alaskahoney/,