Date:
Tue, 15 May 2007 11:18:15 GMT
>>I wonder; many parts of Africa have very seasonal  rainfall with
long dry seasons. There must surely be months on end with little  or
no forage in some parts of the continent. How defensive are the bees
there?

I am not very familiar with forage conditions in Africa between rainy
seasons.  I have read AHB will readily abscond and move to more
favorable locations when there is a nectar shortage.  This is another
trait that was not useful in Europe due to its nectar flow patterns
and long, cold winters.

Some say this disadvantage keeps AHB from spreading northward in
North America, too.

Waldemar