From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2018 12:12:18 -0500
Randy wrote:
>I'd love to hear any other success
>stories, as we need to move yards of bees out every year due to water
>complaints from neighbors.

A couple of years ago, Erin put an old, formed, cement, pedastaled birdbath in one of her new gardens, which is about 350 feet from the hives.  The bees found it in short order and have used it regularly ever since.  She added some small stones to make it easy for them to land and drink.  I think the leached compounds from the cement and the resting stones, along with a little collected organic matter, make it especially attractive to them.  They find it first thing in the spring and use it until they stop flying in the fall.  We also have a plastic kiddie pool set up nearby from spring to fall for our ducks, which free range in the yard during the day.  They quickly muddy it up from both ends (cleaning their bills after dabbling and pooping) and the bees love it.  We float some branches in it to help 'rescue' bees that fall in (Erin tries to save every one of the 'old maids').  Conversely, the fresh, chlorinated tap water we use in the ducks' waterers holds little interest for them.  The temporary puddles that form along the farm road after a rain also attract bees (and butterflies), especially if they have some cow manure in them.  Finally, we have a small pond about 500 feet from the hives, and there are usually bees collecting water along the muddy edges.  Have read for years that they are there for the trace minerals in the water and that chlorine attracts them (as in swimming pools).  In our experience, they much prefer 'dirty' water to clean, chlorinated water.  As far as I can tell, in a bee's mind "Stinky is good, clean is meh."

Bill
Claremont, NH US